Ask Dr. Breeze: How do I grow my hair back because of postpartum hair loss?
1. High protein diet (70-90g per day if you are lactating)
2. Diet high in the ‘good’ fats, such as avocados, coconut, and walnuts.
4. Maca Root. 1 tsp per day, in the morning, mixed in a smoothie or cooled down hot cereal, or some yogurt. Don’t take on an empty stomach, it could irritate it. Don’t take after 3pm or you may not sleep. Take for 3 days and get off 1 day.
5. Nettles tea. 3 tbsp of nettles leaf to 12 oz of water. Simmer the nettles leaf for 3 minutes in the 12 0z of water to neutralize the stinging component. Drink 2 cups per day, several times per week.
6. Use black and clear castor oil. Rub the oil (mix with a thinner oil to thin it out and make it easier to apply) on thinning parts of your hair. I rubbed it on my hair line. You can also add a few drops to your shampoo and conditioner, keep in mind the the best shampoo for hair loss will be a dht blocker shampoo. You can put a large amount onto your hair and wear a cap on it for about an hour and then shampoo it out and add conditioner.
Timeline of Hair Loss and Recovery
November 2011. Lost one whole inch from my hair line. You can see the little bits of fuzzy hair around the edges that will break off completely in the next few weeks. I am 3 months postpartum here.
November 2012. Hair line has come back. Hair is stronger, shinier, and thicker. I have it pulled back, but it’s actually down to my shoulders.
March 2013. Hairline fully recovered.
Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. Please consult with your physician or practitioner before attempting anything I have suggested.